Thursday, November 1, 2012

The Des Moines Register loses some readers, and gains integrity.

My first tweet on Sunday October 28:
Seriously. I grew up reading the Des Moines Register. Donald Kaul was my favorite columnist.

So I know whereof I speak! Traditionally a very liberal paper with idiots for editors. (I only came to that conclusion after I grew up and saw the liberal bias.)

Here's just a little of the editorial:

Consumers must feel more confident about their own economic futures to begin spending on the products and services that power the economy. A renewed sense of confidence will spark renewed investment by American companies. Industry will return to full production and hiring will begin again. 
That should come with Mitt Romney in the White House. 
There is not a lot of difference between the two candidates’ short-term economic plans, as both are heavy on a promise of tax cuts for the middle class but short on details. Romney’s plan, however, goes beyond helping the middle class with tax breaks. 
Throughout the campaign, he has expressed faith in the private sector to fuel a more robust economic recovery if it has more confidence that the federal government will not be an obstacle. Romney has a strategy for job growth through tax and regulatory relief for small businesses, encouraging all forms of domestic energy production, education that prepares graduates with job skills, expanding foreign trade and reducing the burden of federal deficits. 
That formula, coupled with his business acumen, should unlock this nation’s economic potential.
So comes the backlash, the letters:
The Register endorses Mitt Romney? Seriously? Is it new ownership or just temporary insanity?

There are many problems I see with your handling of the Obama interview on background, your resurrecting a deprecating trivial piece about Obama visiting the State Fair run in mid-October, and your endorsement of Romney. I won’t belabor this. I am not a “take my ball and go home” person. But your poor editorial decision making in all three of these matters was the final straw. It galvanized my decision to discontinue my subscription. I’ll miss having the paper every day, but I’ve missed the sense of journalistic responsibility the paper used to have.

Don’t even try explaining to us how you can devote so much space to children going hungry in Iowa and then endorse Mitt Romney–because we have cancelled our subscription.

The exact people you are endorsing would happily eliminate women’s health choices. You are getting in bed with religious zealots and lunatics.

The Register has not just endorsed Romney for President. You have effectively given in to the destructive agenda of the Tea Party. One of their strategies from the beginning was to create such a degree of partisanship that it would be impossible for Obama to govern. So, you endorse Romney in the hopes that the Tea Party will cooperate with this man, since he dutifully spouted off much of their divisive and cruel ideas. And maybe, just maybe gridlock will be broken in Congress. 
I am canceling the subscription to the Des Moines Register I have had for many years. I cannot trust the validity of the news conveyed by an editorial staff that endorses a power-hungry candidate for president who dons a different set of principles like a set of clothing every morning.

Ugly libs make up most of the Register's readers, I'm afraid. In this, one can see how conservatives have been alienated by their editorial policies over the years. See how the writers of these letters paint Mitt and the Tea Party to be power hungry and heartless. Listen to the Democrat talking points. Ugh.

Digging down through the hateful rhetoric and lies, I finally found some sanity:
Surely Hell Hath Frozen Over. Yes, it’s true after your endorsement of Romney. But I’ll take it anyway. After all the liberal garbage spewed forth for the last decade or so, it seems you’ve somewhat seen the light. Still, I question your endorsement of Vilsack. If you had seen the debate of King/Vilsack Friday night at Carroll, IA, all I can say is if it wasn’t so sad it would be funny. She rambled thru much of the debate with incoherent reasons she’s qualified and even the moderator had to stop her. Just laughable. I suggest you rethink that endorsement. I’ll vote for the person most qualified, not the party. In both of these cases, I rest my case. For BHO, investigate Benghazi – I rest my case there also. This is not over, but probably won’t be fully “brought to light” till after the elections. Buried, just like Fast & Furious. Pathetic, pathetic, pathetic. And people still think this guy is “trustworthy”. Surely you jest.

No comments:

Post a Comment